Lit.Org - a community for readers and writers Advanced Search

Average Rating

(1 votes)

RatingRated by

You must login to vote


Not long ago, I had a few health problems that ultimately landed me in the V.A. Hospital in Fayetteville Arkansas. Needless to say, I was feeling sick and lonely, not to mention more than a little scared of dying. I have been a police officer my whole life, both in and out of the military but I had never been more aware of my own mortality. For those of you who have had a brush with death, you know what I mean. I lay in that hospital bed, not really knowing what was going on or what was going to happen to me. I tried to make my peace with the Big Boss and to make peace with myself.

Late one night as I was walking the halls, I met an elderly, bent over gentleman. We talked and over a period of a couple of days became friends. My friend's name is Clarence Craft and I found out that he was 80 years old and had lung cancer. He had refused any more treatments because they made him sick and he figured he did not have long to live any way so he wanted to live his last days as free of the hospital as he could. He seemed very matter of fact about his condition and seemed to accept what was inevitable. I envied him his courage. He told me he had enjoyed a long and eventful life and had so many children and great grand children that he couldn't remember the exact number.

One morning I was talking with a volunteer worker at the hospital and he said, "do you know whom you've been talking to"? I said yeah, Mr. Craft. The volunteer said, "why don't you walk down to the main lobby of the hospital and look around". I found the request a little odd, but I did as he suggested. When I arrived at the lobby I still didn't know what I was supposed to be doing until I noticed a large display, taking up one whole wall. The display featured a Medal of Honor and next to it a picture of a soldier. Under the picture was the name, "CRAFT, CLARENCE B." Private, First Class, U.S. Army, Company G, 382d Infantry, 96th Infantry Division. Place and Date: Hen Hill, Okinawa, and Ryukyu Islands, 31 May 1945.

It read:

He was a rifleman when his platoon spearheaded an attack on Hen Hill, the tactical position on which the entire Naha-Shuri-Yonaburu line of Japanese defense on Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, was hinged. For 12 days our forces had been stalled, and repeated, heavy assaults by 1 battalion and then another had been thrown back by the enemy with serious casualties. With 5 comrades, Pfc Craft was dispatched in advance of Company G to feel out the enemy resistance. The group had proceeded only a short distance up the slope when rifle and machine gun fire, coupled with a terrific barrage of grenades, wounded 3 and pinned down the others. Against odds that appeared suicidal, Pfc. Craft launched a remarkable 1-man attack. He stood up in full view of the enemy and began shooting with deadly marksmanship wherever he saw a hostile movement. He steadily advanced up the hill, killing Japanese soldiers with rapid fire, driving others to cover in their strongly disposed trenches, unhesitatingly facing alone the strength that had previously beaten back attacks in battalion strength. He reached the crest of the hill where he stood silhouetted against the sky while quickly throwing grenades at extremely short range into the enemy positions. His extraordinary assault lifted the pressure from his company for the moment, allowing members of his platoon to comply with his motions to advance and pass him more grenades. With a chain of is comrades supplying him while he stood atop the hill, he furiously hurled a total of 2 cases of grenades into a main trench and other positions on the reverse slope of Hen Hill, meanwhile directing the aim of his fellow soldiers who threw grenades from the slop below him. He left his position, where grenades from both sides were passing over his head and bursting on either slope, to attack the main enemy trench as confusion and panic seized the defenders. Straddling the excavation, he pumped rifle fire into the Japanese at point blank range, killing many and causing the others to flee down the trench. Pursuing them, he came upon a heavy machine gun which was still creating havoc in the American ranks. With rifle fire and a grenade he wiped out this position. By this time the Japanese were in complete rout and American forces were swarming over the hill.

It went on from there. As I finished reading the citation, I turned around and walked out the front door, lit a cigarette and stood looking at the huge American flag flying in front of the hospital. I felt tears stream down my face that I could not stop. Here was a man so extraordinarily brave, that besides being a hero in his youth, he also carried that bravery to the end of his life. To face death in battle was one thing but to calmly stare death in the face as it slowly steals your life, is bravery beyond any medals.

I talked with Mr. Craft again and I also observed him as much as I could. I saw him surrounded by family and friends and I saw him pray. He seemed to derive his strength from God, Country and family. As my own ordeal wore on and I was transferred out, I finally realized that God had given me an example of strength and courage I could emulate. I started to realize that the important things in life really are free and that the things I used to take for granted had suddenly become important.

I survived my brush with death and like a lot of military friends I lost track of Mr. Craft. However, I'll never forget meeting a true American Hero.

A special thanks to all my family for sticking by me.

Steve Newton is a 25-year law enforcement veteran and former Navy Master at Arms. He is a member of Post 639

Related Items


The following comments are for "Veterans"
by Steve

A Salute
Interesting piece and very emotional. I assume that this is a true story though the citation part of it reads as almost beyond belief.

I liked it though and look forward to more of your posts.


( Posted by: Richard Dani [Member] On: June 26, 2002 )

Mr. Craft
Mr. Craft passed away March 28, 2002. A post office building has been named for him.

Hats off to Mr. Craft. He was a man of committment and I would like to have met him.

( Posted by: The Alienist [Member] On: September 23, 2002 )

Add Your Comment

You Must be a member to post comments and ratings. If you are NOT already a member, signup now it only takes a few seconds!

All Fields are required

Commenting Guidelines:
  • All comments must be about the writing. Non-related comments will be deleted.
  • Flaming, derogatory or messages attacking other members well be deleted.
  • Adult/Sexual comments or messages will be deleted.
  • All subjects MUST be PG. No cursing in subjects.
  • All comments must follow the sites posting guidelines.
The purpose of commenting on Lit.Org is to help writers improve their writing. Please post constructive feedback to help the author improve their work.