Lit.Org - a community for readers and writers Advanced Search
 




Average Rating
10

(1 votes)


RatingRated by
10Unknown

You must login to vote




Three A.M. is a bad time to start questioning oneself.

Here I am: Me, one Jonathan Alan Titchenal (Beckett Grey to all of you), a human being, aged nineteen and a half years. 90% of my life has been spent making an ass of myself. The other 10% I probably slept through. All things considered, I have come through well. I am attending a moderately respectable college. I have a few good friends with whom I play Dungeons and Dragons every Saturday. I like to write.

I feel empty.

I started writing for two reasons. One, the main reason, was to tell the story. I have these stories, you see, and I wanted to tell them. Simple. Yeah... The other reason was because I had been affected, changed by those things that I have seen and read that seemed to me to MEAN something. Yes, just like that, in big capital letters. Certain movies, certain books, things that reached out and grabbed me by the goolies and screamed 'LISTEN TO ME, YOU LONG-HAIRED LITTLE FUCK!'. I wanted to do that. I wanted to write things that MEANT something to someone. I wanted someone, even if it was only one person, to be affected in that way by something I had written. That would make the lies that are my life all worth it.

But I cannot.

I am not a bad writer, of that I am sure. But I am also not a good writer. I write stories, people read them, I write some more stories. Some are good, some are bad, but they are all just that. Stories. Two-dimensional and flat. They just lie there, on the coffee table, decomposing. I cannot write anything that MEANS anything. I cannot change anyone. I am coming to realize that I am simpleminded. My views are not views at all, but excuses not to have views.


My view on religion: I'm agnostic.


My view on politics: None of my bloody business


My view on economy: Not my field of expertise


My view on sexuality: I want to leave all my options open.

I don't do much except write, and I don't write as well or as much as I ought to. So, in the words of the great depressive band Radiohead, what's there?

I dunno. I'll tell you when I find out. If I find out.

I like the word 'cleave', you know why? Because cleave is one of the few words in the English language that has two conflicting definitions for itself.

Cleave: To separate
Cleave: To come together.

I LIKE that. I'm sure there's a deep underlying psychological reason why I like that, but honestly, I just don't care. I'm going to go watch The Exorcist instead.



...my head hurts...



------
"Quit this world, quit the next world, quit quitting!" -Sufi proverb.


Related Items

Comments

The following comments are for "Cleave"
by Beckett Grey

re: Archive surfing
There is no way that I can say what I want to say in response to your words- I don't think these things have proper expression in English. I will, instead, cut my losses, and endeavour to say the most with the least...

In short: Thank you.

*burbles away*

( Posted by: Beckett Grey [Member] On: May 23, 2002 )





Add Your Comment

You Must be a member to post comments and ratings. If you are NOT already a member, signup now it only takes a few seconds!

All Fields are required

Commenting Guidelines:
  • All comments must be about the writing. Non-related comments will be deleted.
  • Flaming, derogatory or messages attacking other members well be deleted.
  • Adult/Sexual comments or messages will be deleted.
  • All subjects MUST be PG. No cursing in subjects.
  • All comments must follow the sites posting guidelines.
The purpose of commenting on Lit.Org is to help writers improve their writing. Please post constructive feedback to help the author improve their work.


Username:
Password:
Subject:
Comment:





Login:
Password: